Interim (Short-term) Programs in Hessen, Germany
International Summer Universities (ISU) have a common structure (study program, language courses, cultural program, and credits), the content of the study program varies according to the profile of each university.
Since each location offers its own ISU at a different time, it is possible to participate in more than one ISU, and thus to focus on more than one subject while spending the summer break in Hessen. For more information visit the Office of International Education (OIE) or visit the Hessen ISU website. Also see the program brochure.
Next summer's program dates and courses will be finalized by the end of the fall semester
Interested in this program? Check out these two websites to see videos from different cities in Germany!
Marburg International Summer University (ISU)
Located in the heart of Germany, Marburg an der Lahn is a small, lively and safe medieval town with a long university tradition. The ISU location, university cafeteria and the romantic and picturesque old city with its castle, cafés, pubs, boutiques, as well as movie theatres, museums and theatres are all within walking distance. Marburg ISU takes place at the University of Marburg.
For more information about the program, please visit the website: http://www.uni-marburg.de/isu?language_sync=1
Marburg ISU Course Options
The Marburg ISU program focuses on Business, Politics, and Conflicts in a Changing World. Each student will take a German language course at any level (3 UWGB credits) and a choice of one module (which includes different seminars) that equal 3 UWGB credits.
Themes, modules, and seminars may change from year to year, but summer 2017 modules include:
- Business and Accounting: "Uncertainty and Political Risk in an Unstable Region: Is the Middle East Open for Business?" and "The Gulf Coorperation Council (GCC) in the Global Business Environment"
- Peace and Conflict Studies: "Beyond the Walls- Israel/Palestine Conflict in Film" and "Syria, Iraq, and ISIS- What role for the United Nations?"
- Middle Eastern Studies: "Authoritarian Politics and Democratization in the Middle East: From the 1990s to the Arab Spring" and "The Political Economy of Iran since the Revolution: Between Islam and Modernity in a Changing World"
- German Studies: "Immigration and the Refugee Crisis as a Challenge for Contemporary German Studies. Concepts and Fictions" (taught in German) and "Early Modern Germany: Absolutism, Enlightenment, and Revolution"
There is also a supplemental course offering available for all modules titled "German Politics and History". Learn more about the different modules and seminars on this website.
Included in the Marburg ISU program are cultural activities and trips. These have included evening dinners, movies, and sightseeing in Marburg. Field trips are also included in the program fee (*two are mandatory, one will be Strasbourg). Past field trips have been to:
- Tour of Frankfurt (1 day)
- Tour of Kassel (1 day)
- Tour of Strasbourg, France (3 days)
Learn more about the different programs on the website.
Students will stay in a single room at one of the University of Marburg's dormitories. These are outside of the city center and students will be provided with a city bus pass.
For more information on housing while on the Marburg ISU program, please visit the website.